Sunday, September 23, 2012

chili for fall and winter

Here's my recipe for chili... it's most like my mom's (I think so, though she's told me she disagrees!).  We all think our familiarities are "normal" though I've come to learn that's not the case.  Since moving to Louisville, I've tried chili from Louisiana friends which was much different with more vegetables and no meat (if I remember correctly).  In the local elementary school cafeteria, chili was served on top of spaghetti noodles (seriously!), I think that's a Cincinnati thing maybe?!  I also saw a picture of "Texas chili" on Pinterest, and it looked more like roast beef in a gravy of sorts.  To each their own :)  If you'd like a new-to-you twist you might enjoy ours!


Chili

1 lb ground beef, browned
1 c onion, chopped
1 can chili beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1-2 cans tomato sauce (depending on the size of your cans, and the level of "soupiness" you like)
1/2 c water (only if I use 1 small can of tomato sauce above)
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1 TBSP chili powder
2 tsp oregano
2 cloves garlic, minced

Combine all and simmer to warm throughout.
Serve with cornbread muffins, crackers, tortilla chips, sour cream, etc.  

No comments: