This isn't an original recipe, though I can't remember the source!We enjoy it as a perfect comfort food, and hope you might as well.
Deep Dish Chicken Pot Pie1 c onion, diced
1 c mushrooms, sliced
1/2 c red pepper, diced
2 TBSP butter
1/3 c flour
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 c chicken broth
1 c half and half
2 1/2 c chicken, cooked and chopped
1 c peas and carrots (frozen or fresh)
pie crust (make your own or buy refrigerated crusts)
1. Saute onion, mushrooms, and red pepper in hot butter 4-5 minutes.
2. Stir in flour, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper.
3. Add chicken broth with half and half at once, cooking until thickened and bubbly.
4. Stir in chicken, peas, and carrots. *I used canned peas and fresh carrots this time.
5. Pour into baking dishes (2 - 2 quart dishes or 2 loaf pans).
6. Top with pastry, cut slits to vent, and brush with egg.
7. Bake 30-35 minutes at 400 degrees. Stand 20 minutes before serving.
(One usually remains "pretty" while the other leaks!)
|so glad to have her company while I cook - |
a button tin is big fun for her,
pouring, sorting, and examining tons of buttons!