Saturday, December 22, 2012

Homemade Treats - Granola

Homemade Granola


I shared our favorite recipe for Homemade Chai Tea Mix.
Today it's Granola.
This is a great version of granola in my opinion.
I tried making a few other granola recipes before and really wasn't pleased.
This one isn't overly sweet to me, but has enough flavor to
be enjoyed without adding anything else to sweeten it!
I especially love to eat my granola with yogurt and dried cranberries.

a cookbook from my little friend Mr. S. and his family last year at Christmas,
this is one of their family's recipes that I'm thankful they shared!

Granola
dry ingredients:
7 3/4 c old-fashioned oats
1 1/4 c coconut
3/4 c brown sugar
1 c wheat germ
1 c chopped pecans or almonds
1 c chopped walnuts
1/2 c sunflower seeds
wet ingredients:
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3/4 c vegetable oil
3/4 c water

Mix all dry ingredients in a LARGE bowl.
Mix wet ingredients separately, then pour over dry mixture and stir to combine well.
Pour granola onto 2 rimmed cookie sheets.
Bake granola at 350 degrees, about 30 minutes total.
While baking, stir granola every 10 minutes and rotate cookie sheets between oven racks.
Cool granola, and store in an airtight container.
(If you add dried fruit, stir in once granola cools.)

More pictures of the process...

with the nuts, not exactly a frugal recipe
though you'll have TONS of granola to enjoy

Mix dry ingredients, make sure you have a HUGE bowl!

you might enjoy making this on a pajama morning :)

well mixed

baking, rotate the cookie sheets as you stir
the granola every 10 minutes

one tray complete

the other, a bit more well done

my mom's Tupperware lives on
for which we are most thankful!

No comments: