Friday, October 5, 2012

Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

Enjoy warming up with this rich and creamy soup - one of my favorites!  I don't know the original source, though the recipe was given to me by my friend and boss Carrie.  I tasted her leftovers often last winter and then started making it at home for us!

Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

1 medium onion, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
2 carrots, diced
1/2 c butter
1/2 c flour
4 c chicken broth
2 c cooked wild rice *I usually buy the pouch of Uncle Ben's wild rice that is microwavable
3/4 tsp thyme
pinch cayenne pepper
bay leaf
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
vermouth (optional) *I haven't used it
2 c half and half
2 c cooked turkey or chicken *I use chicken, and recently used our extra Crock Pot Whole Chicken

Saute onion, celery, and carrots in butter in large Dutch oven (*I use a stock pot as I don't have a Dutch oven).  Reduce heat.  Blend in flour, stirring until bubbly.

Gradually add chicken broth, stirring constantly.  Bring to boil.  Boil one minute.  Reduce heat, add wild rice, half and half, chicken, and seasonings.

Simmer 20 minutes.

Enjoy!

*I've frozen our leftovers in the past and have found it to work pretty well.  We've also enjoyed serving this to guests!

chicken and wild rice soup
served with an apple muffin and fruit

No comments: