Friday, July 6, 2012

recipes for you!

Here are a few recipes that you may enjoy from some of my recent meal plans... they're some of our taste tested favorites.

First, "Gretchen's Muffins" as I call them, because they came first from a friend Gretchen who delivered them to lots of friends with babies (and to us when Moriah arrived)... the oatmeal is helpful for nursing moms and these are a great snack for anyone, nursing or not :)  They quickly became Matt's favorite muffin and have been for a couple of years now.  This is a really versitile recipe, and about the only one that I ever feel comfortable "tweaking", it's quite forgiving and we've never had a bad batch... enjoy!

1/2 c sugar (most often I use 1/4 c sugar + 1/4 c crushed pineapple with juice)
1/2 c butter (most often I use 1/4 c butter + 1/4 c applesauce)
3 bananas, mashed
2 eggs
1/2 c honey or brown sugar (honey's great, but it uses up our treasured local honey quickly so we often stick with brown sugar)
1 1/2 c flour (a combination of white/wheat works well)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 c oatmeal (I've norma quick oats as originally suggested, and old fashioned when I was out of the quick)

optional add-ins:
raisins, chocolate chips, nuts, coconut or shredded carrots (or a combo

Mix all ingredients (I use a hand mixer to make sure all are thoroughly combined).
Bake at 375 degrees for 15-18 minutes
*I usually get about 18 muffins per batch

Eat Better America's Country Blueberry Dessert

normally I'd take a picture before we ate, but I forgot this time

I've served this quite a few times in various situations, even some real "country" ones to our rural church members and once to Wendell Berry himself.  We've enjoyed a few visits with him as he lives in a neighboring rural town to the one Matt pastors in, he'd gladly host you as well if you write him a letter (he doesn't e-mail) requesting a visit and the nature of it.  Wait for a hand-written reply and enjoy time with a real sage, you'll leave with LOTS to think about.  All have given good reviews for this easy treat... that even doubles as my breakfast sometimes (topped with homemade yogurt!)

1 c flour
3/4 c sugar
3/4 c milk
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 TBSP butter, melted
16 oz blueberries, frozen (I usually only use the 12oz bag from ALDI)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease an 8" square pan
Combine all ingredients, adding melted butter last.
Pour into pan, and top with blueberries.
Bake 1 hour, stand 15 minutes.
Serve with whipped cream for an extra special treat!

Look for more recipes from the yummy birthday dinner Matt and I enjoyed this week, coming soon!

No comments: