Saturday, June 13, 2009

being at home


"The place where God has put the wife is the husband's home.
Most people have forgotten nowadays what a home can mean, though some of us have come to realize it as never before.
It is a kingdom of its own in the midst of the world, a stronghold amid life's storms and stresses, a refuge, even a sanctuary."
~Detrich Bonhoeffer







I was just reminded of this quote by Bonhoeffer as I worked on a crafty project for a upcoming wedding gift. There is such truth in the statement! This week I have been thrilled to be at home and to make it a haven for us. Although I didn't follow my "plan" to a t, everything was accomplished. I enjoyed the opportunity to be productive in our home and in ways that could bless Matt. Since I'm home now without having to work (just for the summer), Matt has a break from helping with the laundry and dishes after dinner. I'm glad to relieve him of those things that he also gladly did to serve me during the more hectic school year. I can also use my days to clean the house, run errands, and grocery shop, thus leaving the Saturday totally free (that was my day to clean and buy groceries before... a full day)!!! Although these are really simple things, I am so thankful for the sweet rest and solitude of the days this week. I know that for many housewives, these days would eventually become less of a thrill and more of a monotony. But, from the other side of the fence, it is calling and season to be cherished. Even without children right now, I see great significance in serving Matt this way. I know that with children someday, the significance of being a mother and wife in the home becomes even greater (although it is not always possible). This week has given me much to thank and praise the Lord for. I hope that you can also find much contentment in your season right now and enjoy the Lord's goodness to you! The greatest part is... I have many more weeks of this bliss ahead :) And for now, I'll enjoy our Saturday reading the Word, going on a Border's date (with buy one get one free coffee coupon), enjoying good books, and a taking trip to Shakespeare in the Park (to see "Hamlet") tonight.

*I'd love to include pictures of the wedding gift creation... but, lest my dear friend see it, I'll have to wait until after the wedding to post them! So this picture shows the lovely flowers I bought this morning at the Farmer's Market... I really like fresh flowers on the table :)

No comments: