Sunday, December 7, 2008

God's provision

As I went to a Christmas Tea yesterday at our church I was encouraged by a testimony which was shared about the Lord's providence and provision. After having a Friday night of some small frustrations, I was reminded that the Lord is always gracious in His provision for us. Then I was able to see so many blessings that He's given us first-hand.

Friday night I was feeling anxious and worried about finances. This month things have been closer than usual budget wise, after extra expenses when family visited, new electronics purchases, etc. I was upset about expenses the weekend would bring, and thought things just might come up short. What little faith I had! Matt was kind and gentle in his reminders that the Lord has been good to provide for us. He helped me think through our expenses and plan for them which put my mind at ease a bit. Its so hard to understand why I can become so "derailed" in faith just because I selfishly wish I had a little bit more (on Friday night, I wanted extra money for us to get Starbucks while we looked at Christmas lights... very trivial).

So the Lord is amazingly good. Rather than leaving me alone in my unfaithfulness He instead showed me more greatly His good provisions. In fact, I'd say He lavished provision upon us in the following ways:
~ we didn't have the extra money to do our "stockpiling" with coupons and the Grocery Game this week, but we had just enough to buy all we needed for a full week's menu (baked potatoes, chicken fried steak, pumpkin pancakes, biscuits and gravy, tuna salad sandwiches, and homemade pizza)
~ we even had the pantry items to make great breakfasts like waffles to eat today and then freeze, omelets which were yesterday's breakfast, and granola
~ another seminary student in our apartments received a trunk full of breads! so he knocked on our door and offered us some great bagels which added good variety to our breakfast options
~ our neighbor below us knocked on our door with a bag of chicken fried rice she and her husband wouldn't be eating since they were going out of town
~ my coupons at CVS allowed me to buy my perscription, a bar of soap, a bottle of shampoo, and two first aid kits for only $5... even the cashier was amazed
~ I then had money left-over to pay for our Christmas Tea tickets
~ we had a free Red Box code for a movie date last night which we enjoyed greatly (we watched "The Visitor")
~ we emptied our change collection and cashed it in to make quarters and had just enough for this week's laundry
~ the $2 left went to buying 2 newspapers for coupon clipping
In all these small ways, that I often might over-look, the Lord showed me His abundant goodness in a personal way. I am thankful to Him for His goodness and grace.

PSALM 31:19
Oh, how abundant is your goodness,which you have stored up for those who fear you, and worked for those who take refuge in you, in the sight of the children of mankind!

PSALM 69:16
Answer me, O LORD, for your steadfast love is good;
according to your abundant mercy, turn to me.

PSALM 145:7
They shall pour forth the fame of your abundant goodness,
and shall sing aloud of your righteousness.

No comments: