Monday, October 27, 2008

fall hostessing

A Busy Weekend of Entertaining Fun!

This weekend Matt's family came to visit us. We toured Locust Grove (a historic Revolutionary War era home), Churchill Downs, and The Frazier International History Museum. We also ate out at lots of good restaurants (thanks to their generosity). Here are a couple of pictures from our weekend along with the link to recipes I made for "easy" hostessing meals. It was a lot of fun!
Locust Grove with the reinacters dressed up

Churchill Downs

So I had fun making three meals for us over the course of the weekend:

FRIDAY NIGHT DINNER:

Taco Salad... very easy and delicious!
Doritos
ground turkey (browned but not seasoned, the Doritos add flavor)
lettuce
shredded cheese
olives
tomatoes
salsa
sour cream
Thousand Island dressing on top (it might sound funny, but is just the right flavor for this)

Toss the ingredients and serve... make just the amount you need, it doesn't save well because the chips get soggy and the lettuce wilts quickly
Since there were quite a few of us I served it with Taco rice, and black beans.

SATURDAY MORNING BREAKFAST:

From a Kraft Foods magazine, Blueberry Cream Cheese Crescents
(the ALDI version of cream cheese, frozen mixed berries, and crescent rolls... saves money and tastes delicious)

From Real Simple magazine, an easy Spinach Quiche
(so great... I was thrilled to finally find the Stouffer's Spinach Souflee's here in Louisville after looking at my normal Kroger, sending dear Matt to another, and finally finding it at the last one I visited)

I also added some bacon strips and set up a very fun beverage area with our hot drinks... I used our coffee maker and my yellow tea pot (which I love). It looked so pretty with the colorful Fiesta mugs, it was my favorite part of the weekend's hostessing!

SUNDAY LUNCH:

Chicken Tortilla Soup


From AllRecipes.com a slow-cooker one... it was very easy to put together and leave during church. It made a lot of soup which I loved. I'll be taking it to school as leftovers this week for lunch. I wish I knew if it could be frozen, but I'm not quite sure how that works. I will need to investigate that in the future. I took some other reviewers ideas, and added the can of black beans and also put the chicken breasts in whole and shredded them at the end. It wasn't bad at all. I planned to serve this with cheese quesidillas but didn't have enough cheese. Plan B was grilled cheese sandwiches, which I burned. So it was pretty much just soup with chips, avocados, sour cream, and cheese on top. Oh ya, we did have some cornbread muffins with it as well.

Lastly, I added some fresh flower bouquets to the house for an extra welcome... they were on sale at both ALDI (the bouquet in the green vase for $2.50) and Kroger ($4.00)... my idea of a great find!



1 comment:

Darcie said...

Love the Aldi flowers and I definitely want to try the taco soup!