Monday, April 19, 2010

blueberry French toast

Here is one of our new favorites... I think you'd probably love it, I know we do! The best part of it all, really it's healthy :) Even Mr. Matt who is pretty aware of the health involved in most things we eat, was pleasantly surprised when I told him the simple ingredients included - to have his stamp of "healthy approval" is a really "good thing" as my friend Martha likes to say!

So here it is
(and it can easily be halved, that's what we do, otherwise it serves 8-10):



for the French toast...
6 whole wheat buns, or 12 slices whole wheat bread
8 oz reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
1 c blueberries (mine have been frozen, but this summer I'll use fresh!)
10 eggs
2 c skim milk
1/3 c honey

for the sauce...
(I've always used blueberry syrup that I found at ALDI, amazingly, so I've never tasted this sauce)
1/2 c sugar
2 TBSP cornstarch
1 c grape juice
1 c blueberries

Grease a 13x9 pan (or a 2 quart round baking dish if you make half).
Cube (or tear) buns and put half in pan.
Add cubed cream cheese on top of buns.
Top with remaining cubed buns and blueberries.
Beat eggs, milk, and honey together then pour over top.
Refrigerate for 8 hours, or overnight.
Remove from refrigerator for 30 minutes before cooking, to stand at room temperature.
Bake at 350 degrees, COVERED, for 30 minutes.
Uncover, and bake 30 more minutes.
Serve and enjoy!

for the sauce:
Heat and stir all ingredients until smooth in sauce pan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat until blueberries burst. Use to top French toast as desired.

2 comments:

The Blackley Tribe said...

mmmmm....I can't wait to try this one on my family! Jason and Micah both LOVE blueberries (I have to ration how many Micah gets otherwise the diapers are...).
Thanks for sharing!
I hope you are enjoying your pregnancy, you looks so cute and 'glowing'!

Grace~The Mommy On the Bus said...

I'm with Dollie!! Mmmmmmmm!